Transferring: What you need to do


Staff Writer

The thought of transferring from a community college to a university is exciting.

Students get to experience another side of college life. They can finally look forward to receiving their bachelor’s degree and meeting new friends. The thought of this upcoming experience may be exciting however, the process of getting there is very chaotic.

A student has to find out specific requirements and deadlines that have to be met for each college. If a student is transferring from a community college to a university, the transfer agreement must be taken into consideration. The requirements vary on whether or not the student is transferring with an associate’s degree.

As a student, you should start researching. It is best to begin the process by calling admissions, accessing the college website, or visiting the campus yourself to find out the specific deadlines and criteria that must be met. Once the information is gathered, it is smart to start filling out an application right away. You want to be able to get through this process as quickly and easily as possible.

All colleges require students to send a transcript from each individual college they have ever attended. The college staff is so busy that sometimes transcripts will never end up being sent out. As a student, it is best to call each college to make sure that the transcript will arrive in the right hands on time. If they don’t receive any of the transcripts, the student will not be accepted into their specific program. After the college has received all of the required information, a letter will be mailed indicating whether or not he or she has been accepted.

When students are accepted, they must take notice of the transfer agreement. The transfer agreement helps completed college credits carry over to the college in which students plan to attend. However, if students do not transfer with an associate’s degree, it is up to the university to decide on which credits they will actually honor. The New Jersey Transfer website ( can help a student determine whether or not specific courses will transfer. It is good to talk to community college transfer counselors about this as well.

There is a specific transfer agreement in New Jersey that applies to all of the community colleges and four year colleges located in the state. In this agreement, if a student decides to transfer without a degree, only a maximum of 60 to 64 credits can be applied to their associate’s degree.  Students should have a strong academic background and earn at least earn 30 college credits before transferring to a four year university. If a students doesn’t have the right grades, the credits won’t transfer.

In the New Jersey Transfer Agreement, if a student earns an associate’s degree at a community college and then decides to transfer to a four year college in New Jersey, all of their credits will be honored and transfer. In some cases, colleges may require the student to take a specific course over again even if they honored the credits.

To transfer successfully, the student should select an associate’s degree program that aligns with their anticipated bachelor’s degree program.

As a student, it seems like a handful of information to consume but it is worth the process in the end.

After a student is accepted, the college guides them through everything else. Pamphlets and brochures will be sent out regarding financial aid, student tuition, orientation, and advisement day. From then on the student, should read up on college news and hit all of the deadlines.

Plenty of Cumberland County College students take advantage of this agreement. It is a huge advantage for you as a student because it helps you earn your bachelor’s degree sooner as well as save you money.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s